Posted by: lylescott89 | July 10, 2013

The Great Smoky Mountains Journey Day Seven: Click, Click, Click

Hey kids,

I had checked the weather forecast the night before and knew that Wednesday was going to be the hottest day during our journey.  It was supposed to reach a high of 93 with bright and sunny skies.  Our plan for this day was to head to Dollywood, but I awoke thinking that wandering around a theme park in extreme heat was not a particularly good idea.  With that in mind I went to discuss the idea of postponing Dollywood for one day with the family.  As I was about to reach Adam I was met by Donna who told me that Adam was still in bed and said he did not feel good.  I asked him what was wrong and he said his tummy did not feel right and he had the sniffles.  He asked if we could just take it easy for today and head to Dollywood on Thursday.  I gave him a big hug and said “yes, of course”.  I love my baby.  (And yes, he will always be my baby)

I stepped outside and it was already very warm so I was extremely pleased we had made the decision to wait a day, although I did think briefly about how nice it would have been to have those water rides to go on and get soaking wet.  The thought quickly disappeared and I went to make some breakfast.

About an hour or so later Adam decided to get up and asked if we could go to a movie since it was going to be so hot and we said sure.  I had really hoped to go drive around the Smoky Mountains for part of the day, but Adam said he did not feel well enough to sit in the car all day.  I could see his point, but I also knew that he desperately had wanted to see The Internship and he was smart enough to know this was a prime opportunity.  We discussed it briefly and I checked the showtimes.  There were several showings throughout the day and I told Adam he could pick what time he wanted to go.  He chose the 11:30 AM show so we relaxed at the cabin until about 11 since I was positive it would not be busy.  (I was correct)

When it came time to go Adam seemed back to normal except for a little sneezing fit and we were on our way.  Since I had no idea yet whether or not we were going to do anything afterwards I brought my camera along just in case.  As we drove along Wears Valley Road we began to hear a clicking sound in the car.  Donna asked what that was and I said I did not know, but it was sporadic and not constant.  So I turned off the music and we were all silent.  (Click, click, click)  There it was again.  What was that?  (Click, click, click)  There!  Where did that come from?  No idea.  (Click, click, click)  Okay, what the hell is that noise?  Donna listened intently (Click, click, click) and finally said “I think it is coming from your camera case”.  I handed her the case and she removed the camera.  (Click, click, click much louder)  She looked at it and said she did not know what was wrong.  At the next light we stopped at I took a look.  It appeared to be trying to open, but the lens would not come out and thus the clicking sound.  I handed it back to her as the light turned green and she tried to figure out what was wrong.  After several fruitless attempts to get it working she set it down and I said I’d look at it when we got to the theater.

We arrived at the theater, purchased our tickets and got our seats.  When we arrived there were about three people seated including one really fat guy.  We sat down and I begon to fool with the camera.  No matter what I tried I could not get it to work so I went online to see if I could find some troubleshooting tips.  I found the exact description of my issue and tried the fix…nothing.  So I put the dang thing away and watched the movie.  Now I will say that I enjoyed the movie and I did laugh quite a bit, but I could see that the film was aimed at a younger audience that liked to see old people be incompetent when it comes to technology and geek stuff.  I could tell this was the case because Adam laughed hysterically.  That right there my friends made it all worthwhile.

As we exited the theater Donna remarked that I was remaining rather calm about having a broken camera right in the middle of vacation.  I said there was no reason to get angry because that would not solve a thing.  I figured I’d just use my phone when Donna reminded me that Adam had brought his camera (which was my old camera) and it was in the back of the SUV.  I said that would be fine and I put that one into my case and we headed out for lunch.

One of the places we had considered dining at was Corky’s BBQ in Pigeon Forge since we had a 10% off coupon.  Adam was excited because he wanted some good BBQ and off we went.  Since it was after the lunch rush the place was not busy.  They offered up and all you can eat ribs deal, but I just was not that hungry.  I know this surprises you, but it’s true.  I will have to say that it is doubtful that I will ever darken the doors of Corky’s again.  The food was good, but the service was slow and our waitress was not the least bit interested in us enjoying our meal.  She did not like the idea of answering our questions about the menu items, she took forever to refill our drinks and I do not recall one smile.  I hate my job too, but if ever I have to deal with the public I always am cordial.  And as far as I could tell she was in no mood to be cordial.  I ended up having a sausage sandwich covered in slaw and BBQ sauce along with some delicious corn on the cob.  The food was good, but the service was such that I am totally soured on the place.

After lunch I asked Adam what he wanted to do and he asked if we could go to play another round of mini-golf.  I said it was pretty hot, but figured it’d be fine.  On our last trip we played one side of Ripley’s Davy Crockett course so we decided to play the other side.   We arrived and within minutes of starting play the sweat was coming out of me to the point where I thought I would pass out.  But, we played on.  We did not keep score and Adam was the lucky one to get a hole in one on the final hole and thus won himself a free game.  It was way too hot to do so on this date, so we took the ticket and headed back to the cabin.  Thankfully I had a spare shirt in the car so I could be comfortable once again.

On our way to the cabin we drove through the Smoky Mountains on the scenic Old State Highway 73.  It was a beautiful drive and we stopped several times for photo opportunities with Adam’s camera.  We stopped at yet another area on the Little River for Adam to play, skip some rocks and climb on anything and everything he could find.  It was cool and comfortable with a nice breeze on the river.  It was a nice way to spend an afternoon.

We went back to the cabin where we stayed for only a few minute before we headed back down to the pool for some swimming.  I expected the pool to be quite crowded since it was so hot, but there was hardly anyone there so we were able to enjoy a very nice swim.

The evening was essentially the same as every other evening at the cabin so I will not go into details.  I made some delicious spaghetti and meatballs for dinner along with some very tasty garlic bread.  Dollywood awaited us on Thursday and the forecast had the high temperature to be about 82 with a slight chance of rain.  I figured it would be perfect, but would it be?  Stay tuned.




  1. Of course he will always be your baby. I still refer to Emily as the baby. It’s just the way it is. Click, click, click.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: