Posted by: lylescott89 | July 25, 2013

The Great Smoky Mountains Journey Day Nine: Goodbye Cabin, Hello Atlanta

446Hey kids,

I did not want to leave our cabin, but I had no choice.  It was the final morning and we needed to skedaddle by 11:00 AM so we fixed breakfast and began the arduous task of loading up the SUV.  It was yet another beautiful morning and all I could think of was how I could have stayed in this cabin all summer long…and it was technically still spring.  Adam decided that he did not want to leave either so he concluded that if he climbed up the hill in front of the cabin that we would not be able to leave.  Ultimately I was able to talk him down.

As we drove away we waved goodbye to the cabin, but it would not be long before we stopped.  You see there was this nearby shop that we had promised ourselves we would stop at and in the past week we never did so it was time to do so.  It was a nice shop with an incredibly hot blond working the cash register.  She was wearing Daisy Dukes and spoke with a charming accent.  Now I definitely did not want to leave.  Overall the shop was nice and we purchased a few souvenirs, but I did not see too much as I spent most of my time near the register so I could keep an eye on Daisy.  I mean who knows what she was up to, am I right?

The drive to Atlanta was only four hours according to our GPS guide Meagan; however it seemed like it took all freaking456 day.  We did stop for lunch at Hardee’s (Donna went next door to Subway) where Adam and I had some big-ass cheeseburgers and fries.  I can’t say much for the intelligence of the guy at the register.  (He was no Daisy) We made a very simple order and it took him a long time to ring it up and even longer to figure out the correct change.  Despite this the burgers were quite delicious and very filling.  We ended up skipping dinner as we were still very full.

We arrived at the Springhill Suites Atlanta Buckhead in the afternoon and while Meagan did a fine job of getting us there, we somehow missed the turn for the hotel.  Meanwhile in the back seat Adam was shouting “it’s right there, it’s right there” as loudly as possible.  Fortunately I was able to do a quick turnaround and we got right to the entrance.  We were greeted very warmly and checked in.  I unloaded the luggage and then Donna went to park the SUV.  They charged $20.00 a day for parking, but it was free for AAA members so we paid nothing to park.  What I did not realize was that the parking garage was below the hotel which scared me a tad, but we seemed to be in a very nice area so I just went with it.

It was a nap for Donna and some pool time for Adam and me next.  It was hot in Atlanta, which is typical, and after unloading all the luggage I was a sweaty mess and needed to cool off.  We swam for a while and then headed off the see the Braves play the Giants at Turner Field.

459Now we have been to Turner Field several times so I did not take nearly the amount of photos that I normally do at a ballpark,  but I did take a few.  I guess it was just as well my camera was still broken (but no longer clicking) and I had my old one as a backup.  The game itself pretty much sucked.  The Giants jumped out to an early lead and only allowed three hits in their 6-0 victory.  The only excitement we had was that for a while Baumgardner was pitching a perfect game for the Giants and then just a no-hitter and then just a shutout.  It continually got less dramatic and our minds wandered.  Oh and never send Donna out to the concession stand to get you an Italian sausage because she’ll just come back with a hot dog.  She did bring me mustard, but no relish.  It’s my own fault, but for the record we were in the middle of a row and it was a heck of a lot easier for little Donna to get out as opposed to great big me.

The other excitement we had was this girl sitting behind us (cute, but no Daisy despite the similar shorts) that seemed to know everything about baseball and was explaining it all to her friend who was attending her first game.  She seemed very adept at her knowledge of the Atlanta Braves and was did have a few players that she was particularly enamored of.  She spoke on an almost endless loop, but it never seemed to bother me because she actually knew what she was talking about.  She wasn’t one of those “know-it-alls” that spew half-truths and make shit up and I truly appreciated that.  I told her I was impressed with not only her Braves knowledge, but her knowledge of the game of baseball as well.  She was nice enough to take a photo of the three of us with the field in the background.

After the game we made the journey back to Buckhead for a good night’s sleep.  Well, we were stopped in the parking lot475 by this guy giving us a sob story about how he was getting divorced and was staying at a homeless shelter, but needed some cash to stay for another night.  We gave him five bucks, he thanked us profusely and we were on our way.  I kind of wished I was not driving because Atlanta is a beautiful city and is particularly beautiful at night.  So Donna and Adam enjoyed the city lights while I paid attention to the road.  I did grab a few glances when we stopped at lights and I knew that we had a nice city view from the room so I did not complain.

By the time we returned to the room it was very late and we went right to bed.  I knew a hot breakfast was waiting for me downstairs in the morning and we had two awesomely fun things planned for Saturday so no need to stay up any later than necessary.  What’s that you ask?  What did we have planned for Saturday?  You’ll just have to stay tuned.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: