Posted by: lylescott89 | November 2, 2013

Summer Fun & the 2013 General Assembly: It’s 2 AM

Somewhere in a lonely hotel room,
There’s a guy starting to realize
That eternal fate has turned its back on him,
It’s two a.m………..  – Twilight Zone by Golden earring (1982)

DoctorHey kids,

It was indeed 2 AM and I was wide awake due to the incredible pain in my right ear.  I had fallen asleep, but I was awoken when I rolled over and the pain ensued.  Then I realized that I would have to be heading to a walk in clinic first thing in the morning. No pool, no beach, no fun at all.  I was destined to spend three hours waiting in the lobby of some sick and twisted nightmare.  So I got up, took some Advil and tried to get back to sleep.  I found that if I stayed on my right side with my head buried in the pillow the pain was lessened.  I stayed that way all night.

In the morning I told Donna and Adam that I had to do something about my ear and I could not spend the morning at the beach.  So I went online and found a place about a mile from the hotel called Surfside Urgent Care.  They had a service where I could check in online and avoid the wait.  Awesome, I shouted and then proceeded to fill out the forms online.  I quickly showered and headed down to the lobby to print out the form I needed for the clinic and was on my way.

Surfside Urgent Care was very easy to find and I was there in a matter of minutes.  I parked the car and was pleasantly surprised when the lot had few other cars parked.  It was on the second floor so I went up the elevator and opened the door expecting to see at least six sick people inside.  The place was completely empty.  I walked up to the receptionist and she asked if I was Lyle and I said yes.  She gave me another form to complete and made copies of my insurance card and driver’s license.  Moments later I was whisked back to an exam room where the nurse took my BP, temperature, etc.  This was al happening so fast!

The doctor came in seconds later and I have to say she was quite attractive.  She was young; probably in her early thirties191 and she had long blond hair.  She was just the kind of doctor I wanted to see.  She looked in my right ear and said “oh my gosh that looks awful”.  Which I suppose is exactly what you want to hear if your ear hurts that much.  She said  the left ear was infected as well, but not nearly as bad.  She sent a prescription for ear drops and antibiotics over to the CVS (which was about 500 yards away) and told me that I should be felling better in a few hours.  She also said no more beach and no more pool.  Dang!

I went to CVS and was helped by Charlie.  Charlie said that it would be 20-30 minutes before it was ready.  I wondered why, but then I saw the coffee and donuts so I figured they had better things to do.  As it turned out there was a Starbucks right across the street so I went over and had my own breakfast.

I walked in to Starbucks (which was right on the beach) and was in line behind a guy that spoke very little English.  He ordered several espressos and used gift cards to pay for them all.  The barista handed him back his last gift card and told him he still had about a dollar left on it.  He handed it back to her and said “no” before walking away.  I placed my order for a venti ice coffee with cream and vanilla along with a classic sausage, egg and cheese muffin.  The lovely barista used the other guy’s gift card on my order before taking my payment.  Awesome, a dollar off!  I thanked her and paid for the rest with my phone.  (I love doing that)  I sat and enjoyed a quiet breakfast wile a bevy of lovely bikini clad ladies came in for some morning java before their day at the beach.  I was in no hurry.

After I finished I got my free refill and headed back to CVS.  Charlie had my order, but unfortunately there was no foreign guy in line in front of me with a gift card so I had to pay for it all myself.  When I got in the car I quickly took a pill and put the drops in my ears.  I could feel it working.  (No, not really)

190When I got back to the room I looked out the back and saw Donna and Adam on the beach.  I walked down to join them, but as you know going in the water was strictly prohibited.  I went in ankle deep because I figured that would be fine.  Adam eventually moved on to the pool where he played with some kids while Donna and I sat and enjoyed the overcast day.

Soon it was lunchtime (as we all know time goes about three times the normal speed when you are on vacation) and I asked if anyone cared to try a place called The Blueberry Muffin.  Hands were all raised and off we went.  They were only open for breakfast and lunch so we knew our time was limited.

It was not busy as the breakfast crowd had long passed and we were seated immediately.  I could not decide if I wanted breakfast or lunch, but ultimately decided to go with the make your own omelette.  I forget exactly what I had them put in it, but I am pretty sure it had cheese, sausage, peppers and onions.  It came with home fries, a dies of bacon and a muffin of my choosing.  I chose blueberry.  The omelette was very good, but the muffin was incredible.  Adam had the club sandwich and he said it was delicious as well.

A storm was brewing and there was lightning in the area.  This did not seem to be any sort of deterrent for many at the beach and the pool, but my mother raised me better than that so I told Adam no beach until it passed.  Since we had plenty of time Adam asked if we could go see a movie.  I said sure and found several that he wanted to see.  I put in my vote for something (I really do not recall) but Donna and Adam voted for Red 2 so they won.  I have to say that while I enjoyed Red 2 I did not like it nearly as much as the original.  Adam pretty much likes anything in which things explode so he was happy.

By the time the movie ended it was well after 6:00 PM and we were all hungry.  We were all in agreement that we wanted198 pizza.  We had seen a place almost across the street from the hotel called Petrillo’s and I checked it out on Trip Adviser as we drove back towards the beach.  (No I was not driving and reading.  Sheesh!)  It was rated quite highly and was, in fact, rated higher than the other place down by Starbucks so Petrillo’s it would be.

We arrived and were greeted by an older woman.  She asked how many and we said three.  I could see at least four empty tables.  Then this wacky exchange happened

Older Woman: What will you be ordering?

Me: I do not know.  I have not seen a menu yet.

OW: Are you going to have pizza?

Me: Probably.

OW: Oh, then I am not sure we have a place for you.

Me: I see four empty tables.

OW: But you can’t eat pizza at those.

Me: What?

OW: I will see if there are any tables in the pizza areas.

Me: Oh my gosh we are in a segregated pizza place!

She disappeared for a while.  To make matter worse we were left standing in front of a table where two people were trying to enjoy a meal, but they had no pizza.  The girl at the bar asked if we were there for a take out order and I said no, we were waiting for a table, but the older woman just left us here.  She said okay and then poured some drinks.  Finally the older woman returned and said to follow her.  We did and were seated in this area to the left of the main restaurant which I can only figure was the area for pizza people.  She left us and we thankfully never saw her again.

205Our server that night was Holly and she was smoking hot.  I figure you wanted to know that.  Donna went with the Stromboli while Adam and I split a large pie.  I have to say that it was well worth the wait.  We had pepperoni on the whole pie and then put garlic on one half and sausage on the other.  I have no idea which side I liked better because they were both incredible.  Donna said her veggie Stromboli was magnificent.  There were no leftovers.

When we got back to the hotel the storms had long passed so it was time for our last walk on the beach.  We walked until it was dark and Adam frolicked in the water until he was completely exhausted.  The be heading home and the reality of that horrid job of mine would return.  I truly despise my job.  Anyway we finished our walk and got Adam off to bed.  I sat on the balcony until it was very late just enjoying the sounds of the beach.  It was a wonderful night.

And my ear?  What a difference two doses or antibiotics and some ear drops make.  I was ready for a good night’s sleep.

The next day was fairly uneventful so I will just give you the highlights.

  • Donna got up early and went to the Blueberry Muffin and picked us up some fresh muffins for breakfast
  • Adam and I went for a swim in the pool (I kept my head above water the entire time)
  • We packed up the car and headed west
  • Stopped at Hooters in Lakeland for lunch
  • Got home, unpacked and started the laundry

So there you have it kids; Summer Fun 2013.  I hope you enjoyed it and be on the lookout for some new and possibly more218 interesting blogs coming soon.  I have to tell you all about what it is like to be the coach of a little league team and plus my thought’s on this years Halloween.  Until then, stay classy.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: