Posted by: lylescott89 | June 3, 2014

Vegas 2014: Lounging at the Pool, Blue Men & Pizza

I wonder if that's how they get to the hotel pool?

I wonder if that’s how they get to the hotel pool?

Hey kids,

Thursday was my last full day in Vegas and I really did not want to do much of anything other than hang out at the pool. The day started atypically for me as I awoke at 6:30 AM. What a difference. After fighting to get back to sleep I finally got out of bed, showered and headed down for some breakfast.

I went to Starbucks again just because I absolutely love their breakfast sandwiches. I texted Bill & Willy and told them I would keep a spot by the pool for them. I think it was about 9:30 when I got to the pool and found a nice shady spot for us. I had my iced coffee and my Kindle so I was all set.

This was the first and only day of the trip where it was beastly hot. The high that day got all the way up to 97 degrees, but it really did not affect me since I was in and out of the water so much. As I sat there reading a guy about my age asked if the chair to my right was open. I had two to my left for Bill & Willy so I said yes. He introduced himself as Dale from Minnesota and said his wife and daughter would be down in a bit, but they would want to be in the sun. I said no problem at all and went back to my reading. He was reading a magazine about golf or polo or something equally uninteresting to me.

Lazy River

Lazy River

I realized I had staked out a really good spot because the girls nearby were spectacular beauties. In fact, everywhere around the pool was filled with bodacious babes. I don’t know how the MGM did it. Did they ship them in on a truck or something? Are these girls being paid for their hotness to just hang around the pool all day? It was unbelievable and frankly I got very little reading accomplished. I did pretend to read quite a bit so as to appear to be not staring. Thank you very much prescription sunglasses.

After another dip in the water I checked my phone and learned that Bill & Willy were on their way, but had stopped at Starbucks as well. Just then I saw this incredible vision of beauty. She found herself a chair directly in my vision so I would not even have to turn my head to look at her. She was blonde, had huge tracts of land and was wearing a very nice pink bikini. Wow! Just then Dale turned to me and said “Looks like my daughter finally made it to the pool” and pointed right at the blonde in the pink bikini. Thank goodness I didn’t say anything inappropriate. If you are reading this Dale, your daughter is smoking hot.

Bill and Willy arrived and very little changed. They read a little and so did I. I swam, dried off and then swam again. After about an hour or so we made our way to yet another fantastically shaded spot by the lazy river. Beauty was in the water and out. I made several laps around the river and so did Willy. It was a great day thus far.

Memphis Burger & Fat Boy Shake

Memphis Burger & Fat Boy Shake

I’m not sure what time we left, but I know it was well after 1:00 PM. We all went to our rooms, got dressed and met up for lunch. We had decided to go to a place called Holstein’s that day over in The Cosmopolitan. I had read very good things online about the place, specifically about their fantastic burgers and delicious shakes. Burgers & shakes? Lead the way.

Holstein’s was not crowded, but I guess that was to be expected at 2:30 in the afternoon. The hostess that seated us was really cute, but we ended up with a waiter that called himself Thor. At least that is what I think he said. I am not really sure, but it hardly matters. He was very nice. Most of the shakes on the menu were made with alcohol. Now why anyone would ruin a perfectly good shake with alcohol I have no idea, but Thor said that any of them could be ordered sans alcohol for only $9.00. I know what you’re thinking; that is a lot for a shake. I know, but I wanted one and they were about $15.00 with the alcohol so I thought I was getting a bargain.

I ordered the Fat Boy shake, which was made with Reese’s, pretzels, sprinkles and chocolate-caramel popcorn. I kid you not when I say it was one of the greatest shakes I had ever had. I wished it had more popcorn, but it was still delicious.

I chose the Memphis Burger which was a Beef Patty Topped W/ Memphis Style Smoked BBQ Pork, Whiskey BBQ Sauce, Coleslaw and Pickles. The burger itself was very juicy and the toppings complimented each other perfectly. (My you do look lovely today coleslaw. Why thank you pickle) The burger was very large and very filling. The fries were as well. It was all so good I wanted another burger when I finished. I wisely refrained from ordering another one.

I love Vegas!

I love Vegas!

After lunch we did some shopping on The Strip. I did not get a whole lot of souvenirs while I was there. In fact all I think I came home with was a T-shirt and a book of matches from Sapphire. I really liked a particular shirt in the Hard Rock Café for Adam, but they did not have his size. I did get him one he loved though.

I spent the rest of the afternoon packing. I had an early flight on Friday morning and the Super Shuttle would be picking me up at 7:45 so I wanted everything ready to go so when I got back to the hotel after being out for the evening I could go right to bed. So I packed everything except for what I’d need on Friday morning and had the bags ready to go.

We debated whether to eat dinner before or after that evening’s performance of Blue Man Group at the Monte Carlo. Ultimately we decided on after since we had such a big lunch and we decided that pizza would be apropos for our final dinner in Vegas.

Blue Man Group was a great show. Like Ka, it is a very difficult show to describe. Three blue guys doing silly things and playing music is the best I can do. The show was very funny and the music was great. The people in the first three rows all got ponchos to wear to protect from flying paint. We were in row four, but no paint got on us. Afterwards I got to meet a Blue Man, but he never talked and mostly just stared at me.

Me with a Blue Man

Me with a Blue Man

The next dilemma was whether to eat now or wander for a while. I still wanted to see the Fountains at the Bellagio so we decided to walk down there, see the show and then have dinner. As expected there was quite a crowd standing and waiting for the next performance. By some miracle we found a spot where there were only a couple of people standing and we made ourselves at home. We were less than three minutes until showtime. The show was awesome. I loved it and I probably could have stood there and watched it three or four more times, but the guys did not so we moved on. I asked if they were interested in going to Caesar’s Palace or anyplace else, but they were hungry and tired and so was I. I saw no sense in pushing my body to the limit because I already knew that I wanted to make many future trips to Vegas and hopefully I can see some other things then.

We headed back to the Monte Carlo to try a place called 800 Degrees Neapolitan Pizzeria. It was not busy when we arrived, but it sure was when we left. We went in and the girl at the door asked if we had ever been there before. We all said no and she explained how it worked. Quite simply, it was like this; pick a base for your pizza (Margherita, Bianca, Marinara or Verde) and then pick our toppings. I went to the counter and there was a guy there tossing pizza dough in the air. He was quite good. He then put the dough on a peel and slid it down the line. In a way the place was kind of like Subway. You pick your sandwich and then they slide it down to someone else to put on your toppings. Simple.

Bellagio Fountains

Bellagio Fountains

Next I met up with Rosa who asked what my base was going to be. I told her Margherita (Crushed tomato, fresh mozzarella, Parmigiano Reggiano, olive oil, basil) and then she prepared it. I wish I had taken a video of the way she did it. This woman was indeed a pizza artist. Rosa asked what toppings I would like. Now, oregano, chilis and garlic were all free toppings, but all the other toppings were $1 – $3 extra. I went with oregano, garlic, pepperoni & meatballs. I saw these giant meatballs behind the glass and she took one and broke it up on the pie. It was beautiful. She then handed me a ticket to take to the register while she handed the peel to the guy to put it in the (hence the name) 800 degree oven. I went to the register and met one of the happiest guys I had ever met in my life. This guy had a wide smile. I ordered a beverage to go with my pie and paid. I think it was the least expensive meal I had in Vegas. He said he’d call my name when the pizza was ready.

Yes, I definitely love Vegas!

Yes, I definitely love Vegas!

I do not normally drink soda for several reasons, however, the pizza I ordered seemed to call for it. So I went to the machine where I could mix 100 or so different soda combinations and had to make a decision. I thought about the pie and wondered aloud what soda would best compliment it. Root beer? No. Orange? Definitely not. And no Sprite either. It had to be a variation of Coke. Just then a guy came by to refill the straws. He asked if I was having difficulty with the machine. I said no and that I was just trying to figure out what kind of soda would go best with my pizza. He asked what I ordered and I told him. His response? “Definitely Cherry Coke”. I said okay and filled my cup. He was right.

The pizza was delicious. It baked in only a few minutes, but then again many things would at 800 degrees. The Cherry Coke gave just the right amount of tingle to wash down the crust, which was outstanding. I would have liked a little more sauce on my pie and a little more spice in the sauce, but overall no complaints. I would definitely return.

After dinner I refilled my Cherry Coke and went back to the MGM Grand. I said goodbye to Bill & Willy and thanked them for making my week so special. It would not have been nearly as much fun without them.

800 Degrees Pizza

800 Degrees Pizza

I had finally gotten used to the time change and awoke when the alarm went off at 6:45 AM. Good for me. I showered and got all my stuff ready to go. I then checked out via text, which was the coolest way to check out of a hotel ever. I made my way downstairs and said my goodbyes to the MGM Grand. You served me well MGM Grand and I thank you. It was really hot outside so I staked out a shady spot to wait for the shuttle driver. He was right on time.

Since Friday amounted to very little I’ll go ahead and end the story here. I had breakfast at the airport after I passed through security and then made my way to the gate. The only thing of consequence that happened on Friday was that the plane ride back was decidedly quieter than the trip to Vegas. It was possibly the quietest flight I had ever been on. We must have had quite a tailwind because we got back way earlier than expected.

As I look back on the week I will have to say it was one of the greatest weeks of my life. Las Vegas was everything I had hoped it would be and more. I was in love with Vegas and there was no turning back; I was officially hooked. I don’t know when my next trip will be, but I sure hope it is soon. Thanks for reading kids. Maybe next time one of you can go with me.




  1. […] Source: Vegas 2014: Lounging at the Pool, Blue Men & Pizza […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: